The foundation of the Benedictine abbey assumes the existence of a cloister, refectory and other conventual buildings. But today, there remains only the abbey church of Saint-Pierre. In the fifteenth century, the nuns abandon the community to live independently of each other. The houses within the enclosure cloistered reveal the presence of these nuns. On each of them, is the coat of arms of their families, since we have four quarterings of nobility to enter the abbey.
Blesle however, has a special feature. A second church, under the patronage of Saint-Martin, is constructed. It is reserved for baptisms and villagers. It remains today the tower.
The presence of this monastery stirs the lust of powerful lords: the Mercœur. They settled in Blesle from the twelfth century. The town is now under the yoke of a dual authority: that of the Abbess and Lord. Many quarrels will animate these two representatives of power, each wanting to seize the rights of justice. Family Mercœur goes in the fourteenth century, then the Dolphins Auvergne who take possession of the manor.
Blesle, from the sixteenth to the eighteenth century
In 1625, the abbey is aggregated to the order of Cluny. But the Cluniac reform will not have taken Blesle. Nuns continue their lifestyle. The rule relaxes over time to achieve the secularization of the monastery shortly before a French Revolution, the nuns took the title of Countess canoness. Revolution dealt a fatal blow to the monastery to lead finally to its removal. The houses of nuns are sold as national property. The Church of St. Martin is desecrated and the tower of the abbey was destroyed ...
In addition to its medieval architecture, Blesle also has many mansions and half-timbered houses. The city was home to many artisans effect. In 1558, Blesle part of "Good cities Auvergne" and enters a period of prosperity. The guild of tanners was the oldest but it is one of the weavers who become the most powerful. The name of the village streets further evidence of the many commercial and craft activities.
The nineteenth century
The nineteenth century, Blesle enters the industrial era. Population continues to decline with the arrival of the railroad, despite the development of mining with family Châtillon. The extraction of antimony-sector Blesle Massiac has set up two foundries Basbory Blesle. In 1925, the import of foreign ore ensures the existence of these smelters until 1958.
It was not until the technological advances associated with industrialization to improve communication channels. The road to the valley of the Alagnon opened in 1865 as the Company of Paris Orleans implements the line Clermont- Neussargues served in 1861.